Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Ten 21st Century Education Quotes I Carry With Me

Here are ten 21st Century education quotes that I've heard over the past few years that I liked enough to save in my Blackberry so I could look at, remember, and share. These are ten quotes that have been of value to me and I believe will be of value to other innovative educators as well. If I remember or know where they came from, I've indicated it below.


1-Technology is only technology to those who were born before it.
2-We need to prepare students for THEIR future not OUR past-Ian Jukes, educator and Futurist.
3-Teachers need to stop saying, “Hand it in,” and start saying “Publish It.” Alan November
4-We have moved from “know what” learning to “know where” learning.
5-The largest number of podcasts in education are about Podcasts in education.-Marco Torres.
6-Kids DO want to learn, but schools get in the way.
7-Digital Media enables us to build more stages for our kids to express themselves. - Marco Torres
8-What gets us in trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know that just ain't so. Mark Twain.
9-We need to replicate in the classroom the world in which students are living.
10-If we teach today the way we were taught yesterday we aren't preparing students for today or tomorrow.

A well formed quote, like a picture, is a great method for painting detailed concepts. I love collecting these quotes and knowing how they’ve affected others. If one of these quotes affects you or if there is a quote that has affected you that you’d like to share please do by commenting on this post.

10 comments:

  1. Great post. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to link to this post on my blog today.

    Fred Deutsch
    Watertown, SD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post... quoting and linking it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really did like this post. I too am going to add these quotes to my site so others can be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be using your quote: "Technology is only Technology to those who were born before it". Lately I have been thinking about another quote that is related. Unfortunately I am not sure exactly who I got it from: Every technology enables some while disabling others. I see these as related because they are both useful in explaining to educators why students should be able to use whatever tools enable them to participate fully in the curriculum. They shouldn't be limited to pencils and static text books just because that is the way it has always been done. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Quotes. I will be using one of these for a project

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks so much for the help.. using for a project

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I'll be sharing this all over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these quotes and will gladly share them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "We need to replicate in the classroom the world in which students are living."

    Well, it depends. Poor students need an alternative to their world--an environment that stresses scholarship as a way out of poverty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Check out 10 more educational technology quotes!
    http://teachbytes.com/2012/06/10/10-more-educational-technology-quotes/

    ReplyDelete