The strongest candidates possess:
- Experience in leading, motivating, and developing a staff
- A deep commitment to providing amazing opportunities to the hardest-to-serve youth
- A clear instructional model and vision for what a successful school looks like
For inspiration, check out this PowerPoint from a school leader who tells about his experience with starting a school.
Eligibility requirements:A SAS/SBL OR SDA/SDL certification, or be enroll in a license-granting program in order to meet all license requirements by July 1, 2014.
The phases and elements of the selection process are diagramed below.
First Steps to Submitting a New School Application
The first step to proposing a school is to create an account here and use the NYC DOE online system to submit a profile and abstract by 9am on March 19th. Click here for complete submission instructions
These consist of several sections:
- Applicant and Proposed School Information (short answer questions)
- Applicant Resume
- Three Short Essays
- ALL applicants are required to attend Group Assessment 1 on Tuesday, March 19th and Group Assessment 2 onThursday, March 21st from 5:00—7:15pm at the High School for Economics and Finance. You are required to bring a planning team member to Group Assessment 2.
You can attend an open house to learn more at the times/locations below.
- March 4, 5 pm at Info Tech HS (21016 44th Road, LIC, NY 11101)
- March 7, 5 pm at Bronx Design & Construction (333 East 151 Street, Bronx, NY 10451)
Because several mayoral candidates have stated they are in support of limiting or placing a moratorium on the number of school closures in the future, this is a unique opportunity that may not be available in the future. If this is of interest, get out that laptop and start writing!