Friday, March 23, 2012

Yes. Teachers & Students Should be Interacting - My New York Post Mention

If you're here because you saw my mention in the NY Post today, welcome. This is not a new topic for me. I've been talking for many years about the importance of social media in general, and Facebook in particular, when it comes to education. I have also written dozens of articles as well as been quoted and published in places like The New York Times and Tech & Learning on the topic.

If you want to run for office, run a business, or have a say in how your school is run you better be savvy in the use of social media. If you are, you not only have an opinion, you have a voice. A voice that matters and can make a difference. Unfortunately, more and more policymakers are putting restrictions on teachers and students when it comes to communicating online and in the end this hurts not only educators, but also our children.  

If you didn't see the article, it is here.
School big rips teacher Facebook ‘ban’


That article was written as a result of my comments in this article.
Less than ‘friends’ - Teachers told: Stay offline with students

If you want to read more about why I believe teachers and students interacting shouldn't result in everyone panicking, you can view what I've written about Facebook in education, by clicking here.

2 comments:

  1. Social media bans are stupid to begin with and seem to be some sort of reactionary policy that comes out of fear that a school will end up on the 11:00 news because of a parent lawsuit or something. Or maybe that's just me being cynical.

    I have found Facebook and Twitter to be useful in my role as a publications adviser--for both school/community contribution and for marketing--and I know I'm just touching the tip of the iceberg here.

    But I do have an honest question. How do we approach responsibility and etiquette when it comes to technology? Yunno, stuff that addresses things like prioritizing your workload, managing your time, and basic manners ... that doesn't sound like mom telling you to take your elbows off the dinner table?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I strongly agree with you. You have pen down great thought buddy specially the one, that you need to love children first rather than teaching them directly.I think everyone should take care of these as all students have diffrence rate of adaption and considering all equal is not good.
    accounting

    ReplyDelete