Drop.io can be a powerful resource in the tool belt of innovative educators interested in having students collaborate within various units of study. If a student has access to a phone, they are ready to go.
Teachers can create an account to coincide with units of study for her classes.
Drop.io assigns a voicemail number to the creator's account. The teacher simply shares this number with her students and they can leave an audio report/recording on the topic specified. Drop.io makes it easy to name and comment on any audio recording which could be done by the teacher only or by teachers and students. Depending on the classroom set up, students can go to the Drop.io page to leave and read comments or the teacher can print out the pages and hand them out to students. Students with photo capabilities on their phones can share pictures in the same fashion with the same commenting ability.
'Drops' do not require any type of account registration and can be password-protected and set to expire after a period of time, so you can share exactly what you want with whom you want for as long as you want. Drop.io provides a convenient and private method for sharing all types of digital content, ranging from photos, audio, video, emails, and documents. You can also use chat to collaborate real time.
Ideas for Using Drop.io with Students
1) Students can leave opinions on provocative topics in social studies class and other classmates can comment.
2) Students can share oral readings of Poetry (or any genre) on which they can comment to self-reflect, peers can comments, and the teacher can comment as well.
3) Have students leave an audio message with their hypothesis or predictions about a topic of study. Listen to the Drop.io page to see who was on target.
Here's How to Get Started
- Choose a drop name. Ideally this is easy to remember, includes your class number i.e. 6-209 and the title of the topic you are teaching. For example you may choose WoemenHistory6-209 as your Drop.io account name.
- Indicate your email and password and select save.
- Click 'Settings' at the top right to customize your drop and manage its features.
- Select "Get a number" and a number will be assigned to you where you can receive audio messages and others can comment.